Thursday 15 January 2015

Documented Life 2015

I was following the Documented Life project last year. In my own way... I didn't want to do the weekly prompts in a Moleskine planner and decided to use a hand-made art journal. I managed to keep up for about 3 months - then I got behind and also fed up with my journal. So I quit... But I still read the blog posts and admired all the pages others created. By the end of the year, I found out that the Moleskine planner wasn't bad at all and decided to give it a second chance in 2015. I bought one on sale and waited impatiently for this year's project to begin. And you know what? This year, we are supposed to work in a Dylusions Journal! Story of my life... LOL

I don't particularly like the Dylusions journal - I have the small one and it simply doesn't agree with my style and personality. [to be politically correct] The big one is not available where I live and shipping it from abroad is a bit too expensive (even Dyan informs you on her page that it is "considerable weight and this will push the postage cost up")

[warning - rant ahead] 
I am tired of paying a bloody fortune on postage! You get a free postage if you spend over a certain sum of money. As an international shopper, the more I spend the more I pay on postage. Postage usually constitutes up to one THIRD of what I pay for my order. 
[end of rant]

So I'm sticking with my Moleskine! Anyway, I will be covering it all with gesso or tissue paper so it doesn't matter that it's not a "proper" art journal.

Week One
Challenge "Book paper"
Journal Prompt: Be Your Own Goal Keeper


I used my hand-made tissue/deli papers for the page on the right - I usually colour the papers with distress inks and stamp (or print) on them. I made several tutorials on this - it is my trusted technique that always works for me. On top, I used a bit of gesso and various acrylic inks. I also tried watercolour inks but they didn't work well on gesso. The rest is just doodling with paint and markers.

I had this bold idea - to use my hand-made "tissue" tapes for the planner part on the left. It seemed like a great idea, at first... but I'm not so keen about it now.* But I'm going to give it a couple more tries before I come up with a different idea.

* It looks great but the individual tapes wrinkle the page a bit differently when I use wet media on it - sort of regularly, if you know what I mean. I might try to strengthen the page first before applying the tape. 

I don't set goals for myself - it simply doesn't work... ;-) So I used some "neutral" goal-like phrases all around the page.

Week Two
Challenge "Gesso"
Journal Prompt:  “The beginning is always today.” - Mary Shelley


Unlike the previous prompt, I struggled a bit with it because I use gesso on almost all projects. Does this mean that I can paint anything? Well, that didn't help me much... Even the prompt didn't exactly inspire me.

In the end, I decided to start by glueing down a piece of deli paper from my stash - it had some blue and yellow distress ink on it. I added some stamping. Then I used several circles as masks and applied gesso all around. I added some word stickers and stamped the words in the planner part. The rest is just playing with my black marker. (Uni Ball Posca paint marker - it works on all surfaces)

Other pages: 

As the first prompt came on the New Year's Day, which was on Thursday, I had a free weekend with nothing to do.
When you get a planner/diary, you have all these month-at-a-glance pages, personal details, time zones etc. I covered most of the pages with various tissue/deli papers to strengthen them. So they are now ready whenever I want to create a page. I was overflowing with inspiration in the first days of the new year so I created several backgrounds. The muse didn't tell me what to do with them next, so they are waiting there for me...




There is one problem for me to solve. I don't like working in bound journals for one reason - the pages stick together a bit more than they do in ring bound journals, especially near the seam in the middle. I'm trying various mediums to find some that would make the pages less sticky...


No comments:

Post a Comment